03

A 3D virtual robotics programming & simulation tool
for high school students

03

A 3D virtual robotics programming & simulation tool
for high school students

arrow_back arrow_forward

Ideation, UX Strategy, UX Design, UI Development

^^^

the brief

re-designing the interface and giving an all new
experience of easy coding

Our client Jayrobotix and we started out our journeys at the same time. When they engaged us for their company identity design we knew there will would be long way to travel. They had planned and developed a desktop tool for robotics programming which was purely done with developer based UI and flow. We were given the task to give an all new design of the existing tool and incorporate some new features. The vision of the stakeholders was to give an easy to use tool for the end users, i.e the students.

The target audience was high school students, so the challenge in front of us was to think of students, their exposure to various software, and their technical capabilities. The client had given us total freedom to give the interface a complete facelift and the only concern expressed was to make it simple and straightforward to use.

the process

testing with users, technical and management team to
observe the usage patterns

It all started by getting a full brief of what the tool was. The client had given a full demo of the functional aspects and also what the current users feedback was. Since the tool was in nascent form, we got more inputs on the expectations, the client had on the tool. Keeping the long-term goal of the tool we did multiple sessions to get a hang of the full vision.

We were given a copy of the software to thouroughly examine. We, at our studio did a full study by taking current use cases and also noted down possible future use cases. The tool was given to a few novice users and each one was given a task to perfrom. All the observations were documented for the design phase.

The complete gathered information along with the feedback from the existing application was taken into account to start the design. Keeping in view on how the users would interact with a common desktop application, the UI pattern was defined first. Freezing the pattern we moved on to grouping the features as per the usage. This grouping helped in finalizing the menu structure.

We moved into the detail of interaction design as well as creating the visual design and iconography; which woud form the complete visual design guidelines, which allowed the client’s team to go through a seamless development of the tool.

few glimpses of what all is done

A project from a different domain was the one challenge that we needed to prove our problem solving skills. We followed a step-by-step approach to this, where we sat with the client and understood everything about the application. We played around with the application, built use cases and possible new features and then dived into the design. We came up with a user friendly and neat design, which our clients and their user base were impressed with. This was moment of success for us at the studio as we were happy we delivered a solution that was agreed upon by all.

arrow_back
arrow_forward